Saturday, December 30, 2006

I went to a village to look at traditional houses. I have mixed feelings about visiting this kind of place. On one hand, it helps support the local economy, but on the other hand it is strange to look at people as if they are tourist attractions. Originally the the long-neck Karen tribes lived in a more isolated area of the mountains, but were asked by the Thai government to move closer to tourist areas. Our two guides. They said they didn't have enough money for school so I gave a larger tip than usual hoping it would help. They didn't mention school until I asked about it directly so I don't think it was just a line to get a bigger tip.
To get more income each house sells trinkets, and hand woven scarves.
The metal neck jewelry can way up to 10kg.
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: